Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 24 Oct 2000 22:10:01 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

James M Galvin <galvin@acm.org> writes:

>     Some vacation programs also ignore "precedence: bulk" and the like,
>     so maybe memail is counting on that?

> Precedence is another one of those problematic headers.  Popularized by
> USENET, today it enjoys so many different uses that making your
> statement out of context is specious.

Popularized by Usenet?  Huh?  Precedence has never been a Usenet header
that I've ever seen.

The oldest use of precedence that I'm aware of is that Precedence: junk
has been in the headers generated by the old-style Unix vacation program
for eons, and sendmail.cf had handling of a few different types of
precedence headers and they had some effect on queue prioritization.