Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Dave Sill <de5-list-managers @ sws5 . ctd . ornl . gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:30:18 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

James M Galvin <galvin@acm.org> wrote:

>...  Without out-of-band information is not possible to construct
>*a* filter criterion that will correctly filter all elist messages.

Filtering is passť. It's unreliable, fragile, and expensive. The right
way to channel messages from lists is PLSA[1] (Per-List Subscription
Addresses). PLSA is to filtering as VERP is to bounce message parsing.

My MTA[2] makes it easy for me to create multiple addresses for myself
and to process messages sent to those addresses however I choose;
reliably, and with no filtering overhead or guesswork.

For example, I'm subscribed to list-managers as
de5-list-managers@sws5.ctd.ornl.gov. To file list-managers mail in the
correct folder, all I had to do was create the file
~/.qmail-list-managers containing the delivery instruction:

  ./Mail/spool/list-managers

I've been using PLSA for several years now, and it's been
wonderful.

And qmail's extension addresses are *great* for tracking and
controlling e-mail addresses entered into web forms. For example, if I
register on www.foobar.com, I use the address
ds-foobar@sws5.ctd.ornl.gov. If Foobar ever gives out that address, I
can tell immediately, by looking at the header of a spam, where they
got my address, and I can easily revoke the ds-foobar address.

-Dave

Footnotes:
[1]  I just made up that acronym.

[2]  qmail, of course. See http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html