Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:41:08 -0700
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 1:53 PM -0500 10/26/00, David W. Tamkin wrote:

>What about the compromise of a To: line like this:

It allows filtering, but not replying, a key issue with discussion
lists. And if you want to start thinking of ways of encoding both in
the To and dealing with it automatically, you end up with chaos --
better off to foster a proper header.

What I'd like to see happen, personally, is that we take list-id and
extend it slightly by teaching clients the concept of
"reply","reply-all" and "reply-list", where reply-list only works if
list-id is set. that, I think, removes 99.9% of the arguments on BOTH
sides of the "coerce reply-to" religious war....

>Unfortunately that would not solve the problem of an increase in vacation
>autoresponses.

that's a whole different religious war.. (grin)

Be just, and fear not.