Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: status of LIST-ID:
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman @ imc . org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:19:26 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:50 PM -0700 10/26/00, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>>>Specifically, LIST-ID: depends on a few grammar definitions that appear
>>>in the Internet Message Format document (revision to RFC822), which is a
>>>product of the DRUMS Working Group.  It is finally due to be released
>>>real-soon-now.
>>
>>I'll believe it when I see it. This has been a very black eye for the IETF.
>
>I've been good at staying out of all of thus, but I'm curious.
>What's going on? Politics? Ennui?

Believe it or not, the latter and not the former. It has just taken
too @#$% long to get the DRUMS WG to finish up and shut down. I've
done what I can (including a couple of editorial passes on the SMTP
document), but then it just plods along.

There have been no significant "politics" in the process, although
certainly a lot of personalities. But everyone got real tired before
they finished.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium