Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Aaron Schrab <aaron+lm @ schrab . com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:05:25 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 12:41 -0700 26 Oct 2000, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> What I'd like to see happen, personally, is that we take list-id and
> extend it slightly by teaching clients the concept of
> "reply","reply-all" and "reply-list", where reply-list only works if
> list-id is set. that, I think, removes 99.9% of the arguments on BOTH
> sides of the "coerce reply-to" religious war....

Mutt already has all of those options, and it *is* quite nice.
Currently it needs to be told what addresses correspond to mailing
lists, and the list-reply command will look through the To: and Cc:
headers of the message to which you're replying for matching addresses
(so munging the To: header would break this).  It would be even nicer if
it could happen automatically.

--
Aaron Schrab     aaron@schrab.com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly...   --Larry Wall