Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:00:52 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq asked Dave,

| How do you handle making sure
| the From address is correct for whatever list you are sending to?

Ideally the list would support alternative posting addresses known to belong
to members, or if name+suffix@dom.ain or name-suffix@dom.ain is a member, the
software could treat submissions from name@dom.ain as if they came from the
subscribed address.

It certainly does work out best if the member's address as given for private
replies is *not* the PLSA.  I've known a handful of people over the years who
have PLSA'ed themselves with suffixes.  It worked for them.  Unfortunately,
one person who wanted the same functionality got too clever: he had his own
domain, so he set up addresses of listname@his.domain for every list he was
on, and he used them on his posts as well.  Thus, if he were here on
list-managers, his posts would come from list-managers@his.domain.

The list where I knew him was in flux: the software under which it was
running was buggy, and the list manager was AWOL, so a member set up a
successor list under the same name on his site.  The old list had plenty of
publicity still around, so people just finding out about it were joining it
and posting to it, old threads on it were continuing there, and some members
were stubbornly still posting to it, while those of us who were more alert
were carrying out new threads on the new list.  The only reliable way to
filter for the older list was the From_ line, and it worked for the new
list as well, but depending on which machine grabbed my incoming copy of a
post at the ISP where I was subscribed, the envelope sender address might be
written either bang-style or at-style, so in an attempt to simplify the
filtering, my procmail recipe just looked for the listname anywhere on the
From_ line, since there were two possible domains and either one could be on
either side of the local part.

I once sent him a private reply to one of his posts, and he wrote back, quot-
ing excerpts from my message.  Because the From_ line on his reply had the
name of the list, procmail put it into my folder for the list's posts, and I
thought he had quoted my private message into the list.  If he had not munged
his From: fields and envelope senders that way, the problem would not have
arisen.