Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2000)

Subject: Re: HTML Based Email with Majordomo Digest?
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:53:33 -0500 (EST)
To: Allan Newsome <allan @ msic . dia . mil>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On the one hand, majordomo does not care about the content of a
message, whether HTML or anything else.  Like most elist technologies it
receives messages and it distributes them.  Plain and simple.

On the other hand, there are two times when it (and most elist
technologies) should care and sometimes create problems depending on how
successsful they are at dealing with them.

1. Digests - if digests are forwarded as MIME multipart/digests, then
   most MIME-aware email clients will have no trouble with HTML-based
   messages.  I don't know what majordomo2 does, but older versions of
   majordomo did not do this and thus by default HTML messages in a
   digest will be unreadable.  Of course, the recipient could take steps
   to put the message in a separate file and then view it.  After all,
   majordomo does pass the content through, it only "messes up" the
   headers.

2. Administrative messages - Here again I don't know about majordomo2,
   but older versions would not parse the following:

   <HTML><BODY>subscribe</BODY></HTML>

   Most things that send HTML actually send a multipart/alternative
   which has text in front, so this is not as much of a problem as it
   could be.

In any case, how much all of this matters depends on your subscriber
community.  Therefore, your mileage may vary.

Jim