Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2000)

Subject: Re: Is mailback validation still safe?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:30:57 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

John Levine wrote,

| This shouldn't be rocket science, but it's impressive how many people
| writing mailing list packages appear to know nothing about the reality of
| the e-mail environment.

I find it more depressing than impressing.  It's also unsurprising.  Writers
of MUAs show again and again that they know next to nothing about email, and
those with the strongest marketing outsell those with the best operation.
Mailing list management packages go the same way.

Most of the cases of forging another's address to bypass moderation or mem-
bers-only posting rules that I've heard of involved forging the listowner's
address rather than that of a rank-and-file member.  That supposedly gets
more attention to the post from members, and it defames the list as an entity
rather than a single member.  Also, such forgeries occur especially on
announcement-type lists, where forging a rank-and-file member's address will
not accomplish anything (if forgery can be called an accomplishment).