Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2000)

Subject: Re: Is mailback validation still safe?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:25:44 -0800
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>  > MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you have a continuing problem with people forging
>>   From addresses to bypass "post by nonsubscriber" traps, you configure
>>  your MLM to require confirmation FROM THE POSTER before the post goes out.
>
>Do posters put up with this?

I think you could sell the users to accept it. most of them, at
least. Any time you "raise the bar" to parcipation some will drop out
or go elsewhere, but especially if you do it because you're having a
problem, you can convince them to work with you. I think if you
turned it on arbitrarily or didn't explain well why they might go
crazy or try to hurt you, but it can be justified.

I just made one of my lists moderated, because I was tired of the
children trashing the furniture. So far, it's working just fine, and
not one person has complained -- and even the brats are behaving,
which only proves that they CAN when someone is holding a 2x4 at
their skull. (the moderation switch was accompanied by a list mom
tantrum that was a classic, in the Bull Durham "they're kids. Scare
them" motif. Seems to have at least got their attention...).

>I have enough trouble remembering to change my
>outgoing mail ID so I don't get non-subscriber bounces..:o)

another vote for some kind of public key authentification... Someday.
(I don't care what your e-mail address is. I care who you are. But
theinfrastructure to do that just doesn't exist for the mass
audience...)

We're visiting the relatives. Cover us.