Subject: Re:Digest From: message header (was: Digest MIME types...)
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:43:16 -0400
To: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:45 PM -0400 4/9/01, James M Galvin is rumored to have typed:

> What does LISTSERV set the From: message header to when sending out
> digests?
>
> This is something for which there is no guidance anywhere.  When you're
> sending out content based digests it seems reasonable to set the From:
> message header to the address of the moderator.

   Personally, I think it makes more sense to use the admin address (what you
reference as the "failed mail processor"), since in most cases this is the
address the "main" From: is set to, and because as list admin I'd rather the
bounce processing got any bounces that were nuts enough to come to an
embedded From: line. (Man, you'd need one seriously-damaged mailer to bounce
to a nested From: header _inside_ a multipart/digest boundary...)

   As to users sending to the wrong address, well, again, if the MIME
explosion worked, there's no reason for them to reply to the table of
contents message (and if they do they get what they deserve), and if it
_didn't_ work and is being treated as a straight text message, their mailer
should see the outermost From: instead of this nested one.

   (I think I'm humbly suggesting that this is pretty much a non-issue...)

         Charlie