Subject: Re: Digest MIME types...
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:16:40 -0700
To: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Cc: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>, James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:24:57 -0400
Charlie Summers <> wrote:

> Agreed completely. But then, you're biting yourself in the rear
> making that argument, since if those, "clicky-clicky graphic mail
> clients" to which you refer, which are the _majority_ of people
> receiving the digests (outside some technically-specifific mailing
> lists), CANNOT handle them, or do not handle them CORRECTLY, then
> again why use it?

This is actually one of the arguments I use to the effect taht
digests are a Bad Idea in the first place.  All the error conditions
for digests are an order of magnitude worse for digest members,
encluding over quoting, references:/in-reply-to: threading/headers,
quote attributions, subject lines etc.

> You yourself suggested the standard was non-specific and open to
> intepretation; should clients be forced to "hew" to every
> conceivable intepretation?

At this point while there is flexibility and interpretation in the
standard, it actually pretty clear, and doing an even half-way job
of handling MIME digests is not difficult (I've written MUA code to
properly display them twice now for different clients).

> By your own argument, if the people _can't_ actually read them (or
> not without jumping through hoops), it should _not_ be used.

Yup.  Digests, of any form, are just a Bad Idea.

J C Lawrence

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: "Digest" MIME types