Subject: Re: "copyright but not control"
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:04:00 -0500 (CDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Let's distinguish between rights and abilities and avoid language subject to
misunderstanding as referring to one instead of the other.

JCL wrote,

|   You can have no reasonable expectation as to the distribution of
|   your message (the membership database is private (even to me, as
|   much as I can)) other than that you have no control or effective
|   rights (ie enforcable) in the area.

Then let's say, "that you have no control or enforceable rights."  "Effec-
tive" can imply "under the law as it is applied" (in contrast to the law as
it is written or seems to be written); what you are describing there is not
the law as it operates in the real world but the real world as it operates
regardless of the law.

|   You can have no reasonable expectation as to the lifetime of your
|   message (anybody, anywhere, on the list or off, is technically and
|   undetectably free to archive/store/cache any message for any
|   length of time).

Let's say "technically and undetectably able to archive/store/cache any
message" (or "technically able to archive/store/cache any message undetec-
tably") instead.  "Free" can be taken to mean having lawful permission, but
your point is about technological capability.