Subject: Re: AOL Terms -- Revealed
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:37:08 -0700
To: Alan Clegg <alan @ clegg . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:25:46 -0400
Alan Clegg <> wrote:

> My guess is that you deliver serially, opening a single (or
> perhaps 2-3 depending on queue-depth) connections to AOL at any
> given time. opens up to 120 concurrent
> connections, thus kicking off AOL's filters.  My understanding is
> that the 'limit' to kick off the filters is about 17 concurrent
> connections.  At that point, your mail starts vanishing (no
> bounces, no error, just no delivery).

AOL is of course a black box as far as this sort of experimentation
is concerned.  I also have the side benefit of not having been
(knowingly) bit by AOL's filters for my lists (I'm in the
ultra-pleasant position of AOL+HotMail+MSN representing less than 3%
of my scriber base).  However, a little empirical experimentation
after reading

(which used to be more explicit) suggested that the limit is on RCT
TO count per envelope.  There may also be a limit on parallelism,
but I haven't noticed that (I limit to a parallelism of 10 outbound
per MX).

> pumps out about 300,000 messages a day which is
> not really "high volume" in the global scope of things.  I'm not
> doing stats on how many of those are AOL vs. anywhere else (yet).

I pump, at peak, around 1.1Million per day.  About 1% of those are
to AOL.  My envelope size is 5.  So far it seems to work.

J C Lawrence

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL Terms -- Revealed