Subject: Re: we aren't the enemy, but it's hard to prove it
From: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:48:52 -0500
Cc: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 4/30/01 10:48 AM, Tom Neff <tneff@panix.com> wrote...
>--On Monday, April 30, 2001 8:37 AM -0700 Chuq Von Rospach
><chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
>> On 4/30/01 8:24 AM, "Tom Neff" <tneff@panix.com> wrote:
>>> From an ISP standpoint, what really matters about spam is the number of
>>> recipients.  The really noticeable difference between a legitimate
>>> mailing list and a spam campaign is that the latter is HUGE.
>>
>> That's not a safe assumption, Tom. There are huge, legitimate mailing
>> lists as well.
>
>But wait, what does "huge" mean?  How big are you thinking?  The biggest
>listserv I know of is TESL-L which has about 12,000 members.

DIETCITY-AOL@LISTSERV.EDIETS.COM, the second-largest public LISTSERV list
in existence, has 2,139,878 subscribers. I would assume by its name and
description that virtually all of them are on AOL. HPJ2@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
and HPJ@LISTSERV.AOL.COM both have primarily AOL audiences and have
443,904 and 289,032 subscribers, respectively.

I'm not sure what my point is.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL Terms -- Revealed