Subject: Re: we aren't the enemy, but it's hard to prove it
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:20:51 -0700
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com, James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>

On 08:48 AM 4/30/01, Tom Neff wrote:
 >--On Monday, April 30, 2001 8:37 AM -0700 Chuq Von Rospach
 ><chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
 >> On 4/30/01 8:24 AM, "Tom Neff" <tneff@panix.com> wrote:
 >>> From an ISP standpoint, what really matters about spam is the number of
 >>> recipients.  The really noticeable difference between a legitimate
 >>> mailing list and a spam campaign is that the latter is HUGE.
 >>
 >> That's not a safe assumption, Tom. There are huge, legitimate mailing
 >> lists as well.
 >
 >But wait, what does "huge" mean?  How big are you thinking?  The biggest
 >listserv I know of is TESL-L which has about 12,000 members.  If half of
 >those were on AOL (unlikely given the specialized educational topic, but
 >possible for a similar sized list) then there'd be 6,000 deliveries
 >attempted to AOL.  6,000 is POCKET CHANGE for a spammer.  A typical
 >campaign tries to hit ten times that many or more.

I get opt-in promotional email from CD-Now.  I suspect they have a LOT more
than 12,000 members (subscribers).  I get email from Amazon.  Wanna bet
they email to more than a million, every mailing?

How many are AOL users?  Answer:  a huge percentage, perhaps 15% or more.

I might be able to get real data for you, one of my housemates works for a
company that sends out emails like this (legitimate opt-in marketing
email).  I'll ask.

jc