Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2001)

Subject: Re: senate.gov problem
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 16:44:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: Sharon Tucci <sharon @ listhost . net>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

One thing you might do is look in your connection log files for
additional information.  A problem I have seen before (many times
unfortunately) is the other side having "tuned" the timeouts for one or
more of the transactions in the SMTP dialogue, which usually results in
them either giving up too soon or not soon enough.  I have found sites
that do this in an attempt to "speedup" their email processing, i.e.,
move from one message to the next quickly.  Obviously, they don't really
get it.  (The dangers of people who actually read the documentation but
with their blinders on.)

As far as what you could do about it at your end, is it safe to assume
you don't actually look at the "bounce" message, which suggests you've
got the actual failed address coded in an envelope address?  If so, you
might consider how you could get your 'bounce' processing to look at the
message so it could ignore autoresponder messages.  My system actually
looks at the subject line and the first three lines of the bounce
message explicitly for exactly this reason.

Hope this helps,

Jim