Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2001)

Subject: Re: senate.gov problem - update
From: Sharon Tucci <sharon @ listhost . net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 21:59:31 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I finally received a response back from the webmaster
at senate.gov. I've cut and pasted it below. The thing is --
none of the organizations we host *add* addresses without
the request of the recipient. It's against our policy.
I suspect it's not the senators themselves that add themselves,
but someone on staff who looks out for their mail. (For many
of these lists, we collect profile data about subscribers
and quite often I've noticed that it is actually an assistant
or a staffer subscribing the senator.)

So, here we host a lot of lobbyist groups and non-profits
and what their webmaster is saying is we should tell these
groups that they can't let U.S. senators subscribe.

This still doesn't settle the issue why their mail server
continues to kick back autoresponder messages for some
senators 4 days after a mailing was delivered every 2 hours. :(