Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2001)

Subject: So called opt-in
From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 7 May 2001 13:04:04 -0400
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

As an example of how bogus rental e-mail lists can be, I got spammed
by the usually well-behaved e-dialog last week.  After some
conversation with them, they forwarded this snippet from the list
vendor electroniclist.com about the source of an allegedly opt-in
list of lawyers (which, needless to say, I am not):

> Hi Rick, Our lawyer and attorney list is comprised of advertised
> attorney's addresses for contact information. We also use public
> records and court cases and defunct databases where their e-mail
> addresses may have been acquired into our database. That's why our
> list is less expensive because it is deemed single Opt In by The
> attorney publicly advertising their addresses or having been in
> another database. Your advertisement fits the direct marketing
> guidelines because you were asking them in a non commercial way to
> join your list. Your e-mail piece completes what is called a CLC a
> closed loop confirmation. I will note we have seen instances where a
> wrong address of even the client of a case is shown as the attorney
> of record and is not actually an attorney at all. Since a potential
> client has requested CLC verification he has been removed from the
> lawyer list until such a time that he requests to be in the legal
> database. We can provide the actual verification requested with a
> numbered identification, however the cost for the MIS involved would
> not make it cost effective. We guarantee our lists which is on our
> invoice to be only 92% accurate and with only one such request we
> have met our advertised guidelines. You e-mail piece is not Spam as
> you were not selling anything so no CLC was required. In the e-mail
> industry what is presently transpiring is the individual ISP's are
> handling spam complaints on their own. This what you have received
> and can simply be answered by letting them they know they have
> permanently removed and your information was of a non commercial
> nature simply asking them to reconfirm their participation on your
> list.

English translation: this is a spam list of addresses scraped from the
web and other mailing lists.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47