Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2001)

Subject: Re: test messages etc
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:39:04 -0400
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, "List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:53:23AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On 31 May 2001 01:12:54 -0400
> John R Levine <John> wrote:
> >> We're much happier now.  I keep DBM files to cache threading and
> >> index metadata, and render each message on the fly.
> > I do more or less the same thing, each message is a separate plain
> > text file, the thread stuff is in a DBM file,
> How do you generate/maintain the DBM?

Stash key headers when a message comes in: References/In-Reply-To,
Subject, Message-ID, etc.  When a Web user reads a message or calls
for an index, the parent and followup data is at our fingertips,
so we can render a thread tree pretty cheaply.

> What have you used to handle national charsets and assorted MIME
> types for your display engine?

I haven't worried a great deal about international charsets; I pulled
out some of the internationalization stuff from Mhonarc (mostly Perl
implementations of the ISO-8859-* charsets) and use that to render
the most common non-ASCII characters.

Right now we don't support non-text messages on the mailing lists,
so different MIME types are a non-issue for us.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Cute new hoax