Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2001)

Subject: Re: wanted: web-based plain-text email checker
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:51:14 -0400
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 6:24 AM -0400 8/13/01, Tom Neff is rumored to have typed:

> Rather than make people jump through hoops at all, I recommend running your
> incoming list mail through demime.  Solves a multitude of annoyances, not
> just AOL but bogus "winmail.dat" attachments, etc.

   This may eventually be necessary, but right now I see no reason to waste a
bunch of bloated perl processes on every inbound mail when users can still
send plain text (albiet with difficulty from certain brain-damaged systems).
I have solved the "multitude of annoyances" to which you refer by simply
rejecting mail not of type text/plain with a canned, (hopefully) helpful
description of the problem and solutions.

   I may eventually be forced to use something like this (and hopefully find
the time, or find it's already been rewritten in more efficient C code), but
I am not yet ready to give into the idea that HTML-mail is inevitable, and I
have to waste my resources to fix it. (Can you tell I don't much like the
idea of running a huge perl instance for every email I get? This might also
explain why I won't use majordomo.)

   Bad enough the idiots at AOL try to relay through my machine every couple
of days instead of being reasonable and limiting it to once a month.

         Charlie