Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: Interesting dichotomy.
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:53:00 -0800
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:36:00 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <> wrote:

> How we handle it depends on whether we see the list as
> topic-focussed or community-focussed. Are others noticing that?

There's also a middle ground.  I primarily run topic-focused lists,
but realise that the success of those lists is due to their
membership communities.  As a result I massage topic with one hand
and the community with the other.  As with most such things its a
balancing act.

> Is the list "about the San Jose Sharks"? Or is the list "for San
> Jose Sharks fans"?

Then there's, "The list is about Foo and helping people with/do
Foo."  Its not a simple clear cut dichotomy.

Most of my lists not only have the topic definition of <technical
field> but have a base purpose of "improve <technical field> and
advance the state of the art."  The state of the art is advance by
people and their contributions, and so social engineering and human
relations are a large (huge) factor.  At the same time they can't
dominate or else you've abandoned the list purpose in pursuit of ego

J C Lawrence                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
---------(*)                He lived as a devil, eh?               Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.  Reviled did I live; evil I did deliver.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: "I know this is off-topic, but...."