Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: subscriber address in To: field
From: Roger Burton West <roger @ firedrake . org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:37:49 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On or about Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 07:50:16AM -0500, Omar Thameen typed:
>If you have the capability, is there any reason not to place the
>subscriber email address in the To: header of list messages,
>particularly announcement lists?  More and more spam filters are
>making a determination based on a simple check for your email
>address in the To: or Cc: line.  I myself find that I can get rid
>of 80-90% of spam in this manner.

Yes. If you do this, each message to each subscriber has to be sent out
separately; if you don't need custom header per recipient, more than one
recipient can be included for each copy of the message (typically 100
recipients per message is used), saving bandwidth and propagation delays.

If you're using VERP, of course, then you're already sending out
individual messages, and so you don't lose anything by this.

Roger