Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: List-ID
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:08:00 -0500
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

We won't know for sure whether List-ID solves any real-world problems (or
makes any worse) until it's widely adopted.  That's how it usually goes
with 'standards' that people invent because they like how they look on
paper.

In the meantime, I stand by my prediction that spamware will swiftly mimic
the header if it catches on, and will thereby become the bulk of mail
carrying it. If people want to say that's fine, then great, that's fine.

You can't argue with progress.  Already you can post "me too" to a list and
generate 15K of text, HTML, extra headers, special prefixes, banners,
trailers, and MIME packing peanuts as a result.  It will only get better.

Follow-Ups:
  • Re: List-ID