Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:47:38 -0600
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Chuq wrote,

: Got my first piece of spam with a bogus list-ID today.  All it did was
: cause me to filter it to my lists folder, but given Tom's comments, I
: figured I'd mention it.

Of course, the idea is not to give a pass to every message with a List-ID:
header, only to those with the IDs of lists to which the recipient belongs.

SRE wrote about losing one's ISP address,

| This is a
| good time to convince people they should be receiving email
| through a forwarding alias that doesn't die when they switch
| service providers!

That's not a guaranteed permanent address either.  The forwarding site can
go out of business or institute policies that make you want to dissociate
from them.  At least, though, if it goes out of business, another usually
acquires the accounts and the domain name, so the address doesn't shut down
on you suddenly or hold your mail hostage.

Next: forwarding and domain hosting (was Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.)
Next: forwarding and domain hosting (was Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.)
From: SRE <eckert@climber.org>