Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: forwarding and domain hosting
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:25:17 -0800
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 12/3/01 11:20 AM, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier@ripco.com> wrote:

> > Ah, but then you have to pay for registration and for hosting, and if your
> host goes down or out of business you're out of luck (and...

And you might walk outside and get hit by lightning, so we might as well not
bother and stay inside and hide?

C'mon, David, you sound like one of those "guarantee me nothing will ever
happen" whiners, and I KNOW that's not you.

Yes, stuff can happen. But we've had IP into our house, and run our own
domains, since 1994-95, and can count the total number of "down" days on two
hands. Maybe two hands and a foot (and most of that was when the building
next to our ISPs POP caught fire, and the power surges blew out equipment).
Yes, stuff can happen, but even if you do nothing and hide in your house,
stuff can still happen.

It's all about knowing what you're getting into and managing your risks.