Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: "purging" or ____? (was Re: Is there a FAQ?)
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:52:40 -0500
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 18 Dec 2001, at 16:30, Beartooth wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> 	(snipperoo -- good stuff for which thanks!)
>
> > I'd be curious to know if anyone else has considered
> > doing something like periodic explicit re-confirmation.
> > Periodic notification of status, etc is a common
> > practice, but I've never seen anything like this.
>
> 	Fwiw, I've been doing it for five or ten years; I
> don't remember where I got the idea, but I'm pretty sure it
> isn't mine. The model is probably (paid) subscription
> renewal; but I do believe I've seen organized lists doing
> it.

I'm curious --- what problem is it intended to solve?  If your list is
super-low-volume, then the 'probes' [and the hassle of having to
'revalidate'] would seem to be a cure that's more of a PITA than the
disease.  OTOH, if the list has even minimal volume, then anyone who
didn't actually WANT to be receiving the traffic would say something, and
if they don't say anything, well, what's the rub?

I can see if you're *paying* for the list --- an ISP I used for a while
charged for list-mail and I can see being REAL picky about moderating
submissions and trimming out unnecessary targes, and in that case it'd be
useful to flush out dead/uninterested folk, but if that's not the goal,
what is??

  /bernie\

mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA