Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: Advice for listserver software on NT of Win 2K server.
From: "Mike Avery" <mavery @ mail . otherwhen . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:52:48 -0700
To: "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 18 Dec 2001 at 16:01, Pol Van de Perre wrote:

> I'm running a couple of small lists (up to 20 people), used for
> association boards to communicate amongst themselves.

> So my questions are:

> In short, I would appreciate any help on implemeting a relatively
> inexpensive and reliable solution for running about 5 to 10 small list
> of about 20 users each.

I think Majordomo, whether Windows, Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, or whatever is not really a good fit for a new
list manager and small lists.

I'd suggest using David Harris' Mercury/32 package.
It's free.  I used the NetWare version of it for a
number of years and found it to be absolutely rock
solid.  It is also a mail server, so you can avoid the
nightmare that is Exchange.  It can redirect POP3
mailboxes to your users, or host it's own
SMTP/POP3/IMAP  mailboxes for your users.  Very
flexible, very good package.  A number of mailing lists
are out there to support David Harris' products, so if
you have trouble, check the mailing lists.

Surf over to http://www.pmail.com for more
information, the products, and pointers to the mailing
lists.

Mike

--
Mike Avery
MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Bad politicians are elected by good citizens who do not
vote.