Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: Advice for listserver software on NT of Win 2K server.
From: "Mike Avery" <mavery @ mail . otherwhen . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:52:48 -0700
To: "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 18 Dec 2001 at 16:01, Pol Van de Perre wrote:

> I'm running a couple of small lists (up to 20 people), used for
> association boards to communicate amongst themselves.
> So my questions are:
> In short, I would appreciate any help on implemeting a relatively
> inexpensive and reliable solution for running about 5 to 10 small list
> of about 20 users each.

I think Majordomo, whether Windows, Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, or whatever is not really a good fit for a new
list manager and small lists.

I'd suggest using David Harris' Mercury/32 package.
It's free.  I used the NetWare version of it for a
number of years and found it to be absolutely rock
solid.  It is also a mail server, so you can avoid the
nightmare that is Exchange.  It can redirect POP3
mailboxes to your users, or host it's own
SMTP/POP3/IMAP  mailboxes for your users.  Very
flexible, very good package.  A number of mailing lists
are out there to support David Harris' products, so if
you have trouble, check the mailing lists.

Surf over to for more
information, the products, and pointers to the mailing

Mike Avery
ICQ: 16241692                        AOL IM:

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Bad politicians are elected by good citizens who do not

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: "purging" or ____? (was Re: Is there a FAQ?)