Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo! message
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 18 Dec 2001 23:11:05 -0800
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

kinnaman <kinnaman@Io.Com> writes:

> Or that you think building a one-recipient-domain white list for "bulk"
> SMTP mail is a bad/foolish idea?

I think that contacting every mailing list site and asking them to fill
out forms for you is both stupid and insulting.  Particularly when they
apparently expect you to let them know whenever you change anything on an
ongoing basis.  Contacting the few sites that send to *really large*
mailing lists and working with them personally would make sense, but
that's not what happened here.  If they know we're sending them list mail,
then they're perfectly capable of adding us to their whitelist themselves;
if they don't know whether or not we're sending them list mail, why are
they mailing us?

They didn't even try to contact someone responsible for the mailing lists;
they just mailed postmaster.

I can understand some need on the part of large e-mail sites to manually
whitelist some major mailing list providers so as to not incorrectly
detect them as spam or for other internal optimization reasons, but this
was an amazingly bad way of going about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a forgery, and that's still my best
guess, but if it really was Yahoo someone hasn't thought through what
they're doing.