Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2002)

From: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:40:57 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

This is a great place to vent, although I'm not sure whether any action
will result. :)

The problem is twofold.  First, any list hoster is at the mercy of the most
dumb, lazy or unscrupulous list they host.  All it takes is some grouchy
lady in Kankakee, Illinois who doesn't know how she got on a list or
doesn't know how to get off (not having read or kept the welcome message,
and often ignoring instructions that ship with every message or digest),
and bam, an ISP complaint is lodged and you're blackballed.

Second, there is often some half-smart wage geek at the ISP's support desk
who can't resist trying to be "clever" about spam blocking, and ends up
taking out a forest of legit mailing lists.  The last one I tracked down
actually said "well why don't you just install UBBS on your website?" :(

--On Thursday, May 16, 2002 8:26 AM -0400 Sean Brunnock