Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2002)

From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:42:53 -0400
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 16 May 2002, at 9:27, murr rhame wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Sean Brunnock wrote:
>
> > I think it's odd that newspapers love to run stories about
> > mailmen who toss mail in the trash rather than deliver it,
> > but you never hear about ISPs that play games with email.

> As long as spammers exist, I fully support the right of ISPs to
> block spam sites.  I also fully support the right of customers to
> complain when an ISP gets the filtering wrong. ...

Meta question -- in my experience, when one site 'blocks' another, they
do it by blocking ALL traffic from the blocked site.  This strikes me as
bogus on two fronts:

1) it prevents anyone from figuring out what's going on [a user emails me
"How come I'm not getting your list", and I can't email back, since my
email gets blocked].

2) is arguably a violation of 2822 [which to my reading *requires* that
sites accept email addressed to 'postmaster'].

I was wondering if any of you have run across an ISP with enough of a
clue to [IMO] 'get it right' and leave postmaster open so that there's a
peephole through which the problem/misunderstanding/whatever can be
worked out?  I haven't....

> ...I figure if a
> subscriber isn't getting their mail because their ISP is
> filtering, it's up to the customer/subscriber to read the riot
> act to their ISP.

All true, but often the subscriber can't figure out what's wrong, the
ISPs virtually NEVER tell their customers what they've done, and it is
left as a big mystery to figure out what's going on [with the added
fillip that you can't email the customer [or the ISP] to explain/probe].

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA