Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2002)

From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:00:16 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Tom Neff <tneff@panix.com> writes:

> Second, there is often some half-smart wage geek at the ISP's support
> desk who can't resist trying to be "clever" about spam blocking, and
> ends up taking out a forest of legit mailing lists.  The last one I
> tracked down actually said "well why don't you just install UBBS on your
> website?" :(

It's a symptom of a larger problem that's hitting Usenet newsgroup
creation as well, namely that there seem to be a lot of ISPs out there who
have staff who are capable of doing a half-assed job (which is in some
ways worse than completely incompetent staff).  For example, both
Earthlink and ATTBI have added newly created newsgroups in the past year,
but they're all devoid of traffic and posts to those newsgroups don't go
outside of their service.  Obviously they've been added to their reader
servers and not their transit servers, or something similar, but it's
completely impossible to reach anyone in either organization who has any
idea what you're talking about.

I'm betting this is the same sort of thing.  Someone implemented spam
blocking because there was a clamor for it, they did something they
thought would work, and they're working in complete isolation from the
customer experience or contact with other parts of the organization.  So
when it breaks something, they literally don't know, and the people you
can contact don't know how to contact them.

It's rather ridiculous.  It makes me think some serious shaking out needs
to happen in the ISP industry, and I'm really wondering if the future of
Internet connectivity isn't paying one company to just provide you with a
pipe and paying a different company that actually knows something about
mail to provide you with mail services.