Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2002)

Subject: Re: e-postage again
From: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:30:53 -0500
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 5/19/02 5:15 PM, John R Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

>> That is to say, it costs you nothing to get an e-stamp - but you still have
>> to get one.  There's no money to move around, but there is a transaction
>> you have to make.
>
> You may be about to invent hashcash, which has its own problems.
>
> You have to ration the stamps somehow, otherwise they're meaningless.

Not necessarily. The issue is accountability. It's easy for fly-by-night
operations to spam and flee because no one knows who they are. If you
somehow tie it into a more legitimate system, you now have a way to track
them down and make them face the consequences for their actions.

I'm not sure any of this is workable, though.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP