Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: Byron Lunz <bklunz @ databack . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

More generally, I see this a lot from Microsoft Exchange users.

There is an obscure anomaly for which users who set the "vacation"
notice feature will cause all messages that have collected since the
notice was set to be resubmitted the moment they login when they get
back from "vacation".

It's pretty easy to detect if you log message-ids of received messages.
This is what I do.  Can you say "looping storm"?  You only need this to
happen once, on a b-i-g list, to understand why I remove with prejudice
any subscriber who submits duplicate messages.

You can also find them when the envelope from does not match the message
header from.

The resubmitted message will look exactly like the original except that
it will have more Received lines and the envelope from will be the
person with the broken mail system.

James M. Galvin <>