Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:59:41 -0500
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Nick Simicich wrote,

| The origin of the mail is set back to the user in the "From:" line or to
| some odd variation of that user.
|
| My belief is that the end user is re-injecting the mail.  The mail is going
| to the end user, some sort of script is run and then, after minutes or
| hours, the mail is reinjected.

About three or four years ago I saw the same thing happening on two lists
running on eGroups (before it became Yahoo Groups).  The messages were not
redistributed but rather bounced because the list's Mailing-List: or
the reinjecter had reset From_ to match From:, so they were bounced to their
original authors.  In both cases, the offender had a personal domain connected
through the bouncing system and there was no member at an address in the
bouncing system's domain.  By running nslookup -q=any on the domains of all
members, I helped both listowners find the culprits.  One was probably
malicious, the other may have been a stupid misconfiguration.

All I can say is the obvious: kick the culprit off the list and reserve
judgment about the provider unless there are future incidents from other
members in that domain.