Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:06:51 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

BL> Is anyone else seeing the re-appearance of old messages on
BL> discussion lists (or just old messages re-appearing in their
BL> inbox)?

The usual cause I've experienced is some broken mail system that uses
the "To:" header (not the SMTP envelope recipient) to deliver the
mail.  When it sees the list address it just re-sends the message to
the list.  Usually these types of systems hide behind a single ISP
email account and then "burst" the messages to their local users based
on the "To" header.  Obviously, it is very easy to write broken
software, and the rest of the world gets to suffer.

The quick fix is to track down the offending address and remove it
from your list.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/