Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers@greatcircle.com?
From: "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @ nausicaa . net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:20:39 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 17 Jun 2002, John R Levine wrote:

> > > Does this list have a subject prefix defined?  If not, I would like to
> > > request that it define one.
> >
> > And if you do, I'll probably leave.

As John Levine points out, a subject prefix is not something that everyone
is forced to receive.  I'm asking that one be defined so that it becomes
easier to scan my inbox visually for messages from this list.  All of the
other lists I subscribe to support this feature, and it adds value to my
mail-reading experience, regardless of the MUA I use.

> I think prefixes are pretty lame, too, but they're not as lame as some
> of the MUAs that can't filter on header lines other than To, From, and
> Subject.

My MUA can filter on it, but if I automatically move mail away from my
Inbox to other folders, I forget to read them.  Out of sight->out of mind.
That's not an MUA problem.  That's an attention deficit problem.  Dare to
suggest an MUA that solves that problem?  :)

Otherwise, why be such a grouch about it?

--
Michael