Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers@greatcircle.com?
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:38:39 -0400
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 10:01 PM 2002-06-16 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>On 6/16/02 9:35 PM, "Michael S. Johnson" <michj@nausicaa.net> wrote:
>
> > Does this list have a subject prefix defined?  If not, I would like to
> > request that it define one.
>
>And if you do, I'll probably leave. Learn to use filters, donšt force the
>system to muck with the subject line to do something only a small percentage
>of list users want.

The joy of Majordomo2, which this list is apparently being run under based
on the flags reported (I just verified it), is that subject prefixes and
reply-to are an individual option (overridable, of course, based on site
preference, but if a user likes reply-to or subject prefixes they can set
them).  Defining the subject prefix does not force it down your throat.  It
just allows those who want one to get one.

The default subject prefix is [listname], in this case [list-managers].  I
have no idea if they have set this to null because they have some religious
opposition.  I see that they are offering three kinds of digests so they
are probably not completely into doing all splitting in the MTA.

And, yes, that means that if the list has all combinations of users set,
that there will be a message dropped into the MTA for those who want
neither reply-to nor subject prefix, one for the both crowd, one for the
reply to but not subject prefix group and one for the subject prefix and no
reply-to group.  It works real well.

http://www.greatcircle.com/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=greatcircle.com

Is the management URL for users, by the way.  I had to guess at it.  Do a
"forgot my password" and confirm, and then you can set your options as you
choose.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is