Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2002)

Subject: Re: Purging schedules
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:52:50 -0800
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Cc: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

Nick Simicich wrote:

> I personally think that reconfirmations are a bad idea.  They increase
> the load on the subscribers without doing anything positive.

For a particular type of list, they do something very positive: chase
away slackers and lurkers.  If you're interested in having smaller lists
of high participation, pestering people with reconfirmation requests
makes it likely the less interested will just go away.  For community
lists, that's a very good thing.