Subject: Re: Questions for those who have this information
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:01:01 -0800
To: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (List Managers)

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 08:20  AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> I disagree.  DSN's report the final recipient, not necessarily the
> address that is in your mailing list.

Very true. But with the improved personalization of list servers like
Mailman 2.1, verp might not be the only option we have these days, too.
But just because it's not in the "right" format doesn't mean it's
useful.

> I think it is more programmer laziness/incompetence than spite that
> they don't comply with the DSN RFCs (or *any* random RFC).

I or some of my staff have talked to some of the companies who write
the mail servers about this. The reactions range all over the map, from
having to be wary about breaking compatibility with previous releases
(understandable, especially if customers have written code using the
old formats) to being unaware of some of the RFCs involved (what,
writing mail servers and not knowing about the mail server RFCs? yeah,
go figure) to simply not caring what happens anywhere but on their own
software.

There's one server we've just given up on, and attempts to talk with
the company who writes and sells it haven't been terribly encouraging.
I don't want to mention their name, but they're definitely not a first
class piece of software, so instead, when I get questions from users
about what server to buy, I recommend away from this firm....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

--