Subject: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:16:49 -0600
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:13:25 -0700, Bob Bish <bobbish@earthlink.net> wrote:

>   I believe that message means the AOL user is blocking mail from the
> ORIGINAL sender of the message, not from the entire mailing list.  I see
> these a lot, but lately they've been taking the form like:
>
> Your mail to the following recipients could not be delivered because they
> are not accepting mail from user@some.dom:
> aoluser

AOL's mail filters have two different behaviors. First, they work on the
envelope sender, which generates the aforementioned 550 error about not
accepting mail.

Second, they also work on the From header, which generates the above
terrible awful non-compliant message.

Back when AOL's filters only worked on the envelope sender, you could set up
a whitelist to allow a mailing list -- provided it generated a static
Return-Path. But now that no longer works, since AOL will also compare your
whitelist against From.

More information about this at
<http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/#mail_controls>.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: gateway.net