Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2003)

Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:53:29 -0400
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 11:16 AM -0400 5/1/03, Chuq Von Rospach is rumored to have typed:

> But it's a problem I don't think we can ignore, and unfortunately, the
> list that the list admins live on is one of the archives on the
> "problem" list, not the "solution" list.

   I agree with your assessment, but even if the GreatCircle archives were
"locked-down," there are the unofficial web-based archives we've discussed
here in the past to deal with. Checking the URL you provided (searching
Google for my email address coupled with "list-managers"), you'll see that
only TWO of those links point to GreatCircle. Others point to
mail-archive.com's archive of this list, and yet others point to various
"unofficial" archives of the procmail mailing list (where I mentioned this
list). And although not searchable by Google, apparently, we know there is a
Yahoo! "mirror" of this list that someone not at GreatCircle set up.

   The problem is MUCH more wide-spread than just official archives. On the
lists I control, there are NO web-based archives (although there are
mail-based archives that may be retrieved by subscribers only). But I'm
constantly on the lookout for user-operated archives, and actually firewall
off the "known" archivers like mail-archive.com from sending any mail into
the list server. Still, any subscriber who wants to "help" can easily set up
their own archives, which once cached by Google live forever.

   (*sigh*) It's a much bigger problem than you suggest.

         Charlie