Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2003)

Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <amitchell @ habeas . com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:24:54 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>    While going through the daily group of spam messages that got
>    through the
> filters, I noticed a 411 spam with a text attachment.

Just as an interesting data point, when we started going after a 419
spammer, we were told by the Secret Service to back off!

Actually, while I'm here, I should ask you guys a question:

As some of you know, we recently filed our first lawsuits against
spammers who had misappropriated our mark.   They are going
exactly as expected (really well) and as a bonus, we have been
receiving as evidence the lists to which these folks are spamming
(!), *and* we now know who the list brokers are (the person selling
the usernames!)

Right now these just seem to be random lists (and so we are trying
to get the ISPs interested in suing for selling their usernames, and
trademark), but I think it quite likely, given this discussion, that we
could come across a list which is actually the addresses from
another list (such as this - it seems entirely possible that someone
is simply *selling* the list-managers list of addresses).

So my question is: if we came into possession of evidence of
someone selling the usernames/addresses of another mailing list
(_your_ mailing list) would you, as a list manager, be interested in
pursuing legal action against the list broker?

Anne

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...