Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2003)

Subject: is AOL coughing a hairball?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:28:22 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>

we're seeing AOL and netscape.net blocking email, both to my home and
work domain. Error returned is:

... while talking to mailin-01.mx.aol.com.:
<<< 550-The IP address you're using to connect to AOL is either open to
the
<<< 550-free relaying of e-mail, is serving as an open proxy, or is a
dynamic
<<< 550-(residential) IP address.  AOL cannot accept further e-mail
<<< 550-transactions from your server until either your server is
closed to free
<<< 550-relaying/proxy, or your ISP removes your IP address from their
list of
<<< 550-dynamic IP addresses. For additional information, please visit
<<< 550 http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
... while talking to mailin-03.mx.aol.com.:
 >>> QUIT
<<< 550-The IP address you're using to connect to AOL is either open to
the
<<< 550-free relaying of e-mail, is serving as an open proxy, or is a
dynamic
<<< 550-(residential) IP address.  AOL cannot accept further e-mail
<<< 550-transactions from your server until either your server is
closed to free
<<< 550-relaying/proxy, or your ISP removes your IP address from their
list of
<<< 550-dynamic IP addresses. For additional information, please visit
<<< 550 http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
... while talking to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.:
 >>> QUIT

testing against AOL's own lists shows we're clean. It looks like AOL is
coughing a hairball here. Are other folks seeing this as well? It
doesn't seem to be a 100% block, either, leading me to think some of
their machines are messed up...

Indexed By Date Previous: yahoo groups contact?