Subject: Re: AOL blocking
From: Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:37:26 -0700
To: Al Iverson <iverson @ mnjazz . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 07:23 PM 7/15/2003, Al Iverson wrote:
> >     Has anyone found a way to get AOL to whitelist, or stop blocking,
> > mailing lists?
>
>Yes. Assuming you own the server in question, call the number in AOL's
>whois entry in the morning and plead your case. It's actually fairly
>easy to show AOL that you're not a spammer. It may take a few days to
>resolve.

    It was even easier than that.  They have a web page for testing for
open relays (it's given in the bounce message).  I tested the IP address of
the list host.  It came back negative, causing their software to
automatically remove it from the block list.  It must have been detected as
an open relay as the result of some kind of snafu.  At least, that's my
best guess.
    The good news is that AOL's blocking of my lists has ceased.  It only
lasted for about 8-9 hours total.

...Bob