Subject: Re: AOL blocking
From: Al Iverson <iverson @ mnjazz . com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:09:38 -0500
To: list managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> writes:
>
> > Wouldn't help.
>
> > 90% or more of the spam complaints I see come when users see a mailbox
> > full of spam, select everything in the mailbox in frustration, and
> > report everything as spam in bulk. They aren't even opening the
> > messages. It's a frustration reaction caused by AOL's absolute inability
> > to really dent the amount of spam that gets into their mailboxes.
>
> I think it might help this problem somewhat, although not alieviate it
> entirely of course, for AOL's spam report button to look at the message
> and if it has a List-Unsubscribe header, to try mailing that first.
> They'd have to keep a blacklist of spammers who abused that header, or
> automatically generate such a list from those spams that someone reported
> and then received again with the same List-Unsubscribe header, but it
> might be pretty effective.
>
> If the users are going to use the spam button as an unsubscribe button,
> why not make it exactly that?

Some of us brought up ideas like that at the spam summit back in late
April/early May, but were met mostly with blank stares in response. I
didn't specificially broach the idea to AOL, so I am not referring to
them.

Frankly, I think it'd be a great idea. The problem is...why would an
AOL-like entity need to do this?

Regards,
Al Iverson
--