Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2003)

Subject: Re: delivery to hotmail / list for delivery issues?
From: Omar <omar @ westside . urbanblight . com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:32:21 -0400
To: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:48:35PM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:

> o> This basically means that our MTA didn't receive the final confirmation
> o> from hotmail that the message was delivered, and so puts it back in the
> o> queue for re-try later.
>
> o> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> I've been seeing *massive* backlogging going to hotmail for the last
> few weeks.  I had to set up a dedicated mail queue just for it so it
> wouldn't block other mail from going out by hogging the entire
> 'active' queue.

Thanks for the data point.  By backlogging, you mean they're deferring
connections, or their servers aren't responding?

On a semi-related note, is there another list manager mailing list that's
more actively posted to?  I'm interested in keeping on top of any
issues that impact large mailing list deliveries, such as problems
or changes at large ISPs.  I've been on this list for years (in
various email incarnations), but only once in a blue moon does
someone post such a heads-up.

If no such list exists, I'd be happy to create one should there be
sufficient interest.

Omar