Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2003)

Subject: Re: welcome/confirmation message subject line
From: James M Galvin <galvin+list-managers @ eListX . com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:36:24 -0500 (EST)
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, JC Dill wrote:

    At 05:48 PM 11/4/2003, James M Galvin wrote:

    >    And a minor nit with your words above.  The "welcome message"
    >    is the final message from the server to the subscriber.  It's
    >    not a welcome message if the prospective subscriber must reply
    >    to it.

    For our website, it IS a welcome message, because they have partial
    access to the site after they have registered and before they have
    confirmed.

Well, that's probably the real issue.  Even if you split the message
into two messages then you'll get complaints about overfilling the
mailbox.  We tried that for a while in another context.

In some ways it's more tolerable because even though you get a complaint
the right thing has happened and most people seemed to move on, i.e.,
they complain and they're done.

You still might try it, though.  Different user communities have
different ideas about what is reasonable.

Jim