Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2004)

Subject: Re: Hotmail rendering of 7bit messages
From: Omar Thameen <omar @ westside . urbanblight . com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:14:32 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:54:18PM -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> Omar Thameen wrote:
> > If anyone cares, the problem was that the signature delimiting string
> > that we were using, "--+--" , was causing Hotmail display the message
> > with 7bit encoded characters, regardless the encoding defined in the
> > message headers.
>
> Then perhaps you should actually use the RFC-compliant signature
> delimiter, two dashes (-) followed by one space followed by a newline.

That's not a bad idea, though it doesn't excuse Hotmail's inability to
display the messages.

The problems I see are:

- I've only been able to find references to "-- " being a convention
  stemming from usenet, not a requirement (RFC 2646, 3676).
- In practice, very few people/ISPs are using signatures so delimited.
- Though I did say "signature", I meant to refer to the mandatory
  list unsubscribe information we append (which we want to strip
  out for archives).  Perhaps it's better called a "trailer", with
  signatures remaining the superfluous information provided by the
  poster.

Omar