Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(September 2005)

From: mark david mcCreary <mdm @ mail-list . com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:20:21 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

My recollection is that in June, Microsoft anounced they would require
Sender ID (not SPF) at and

The Sender ID extends SPF to include the From: header, which in the
case of mailing lists does not work very well.

I already publish SPF version 1 records in my DNS TXT records.

So far, my preliminary analysis is that I can leave these alone, and
add a Resent-From header to my mailings.  The Resent-From would
contain my domain name, and should be verified in place of the From

Therefore, all would be well.

First, would anybody like to comment on this logic.

Second, I have attempted to ask Microsoft/Hotmail this question, and
here is a reply from the frontline support desk.

     There are no plans to change how we "enforce" Sender ID.  There were
     incorrect reports about this a while ago; however we do not reject a
     message or place a message in the junk folder solely on the basis of the
     Sender ID test, nor do we plan to.

I'm not sure they are answering the question that I asked, or was
trying to ask.

Does anybody have any knowledge pertaining to MSN/Hotmail plans with
regards to Sender ID, and how mailing lists can cope.

Indexed By Date Previous:
Next: Re: MSN Sender Id and mailing lists
Next: Re: MSN Sender Id and mailing lists
From: John Levine <>

Search Internet Search