Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(September 2005)

From: mark david mcCreary <mdm @ mail-list . com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:20:21 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

My recollection is that in June, Microsoft anounced they would require
Sender ID (not SPF) at msn.com and hotmail.com.

The Sender ID extends SPF to include the From: header, which in the
case of mailing lists does not work very well.

I already publish SPF version 1 records in my DNS TXT records.

So far, my preliminary analysis is that I can leave these alone, and
add a Resent-From header to my mailings.  The Resent-From would
contain my domain name, and should be verified in place of the From
header.

Therefore, all would be well.

First, would anybody like to comment on this logic.

Second, I have attempted to ask Microsoft/Hotmail this question, and
here is a reply from the frontline support desk.

     There are no plans to change how we "enforce" Sender ID.  There were
     incorrect reports about this a while ago; however we do not reject a
     message or place a message in the junk folder solely on the basis of the
     Sender ID test, nor do we plan to.

I'm not sure they are answering the question that I asked, or was
trying to ask.

Does anybody have any knowledge pertaining to MSN/Hotmail plans with
regards to Sender ID, and how mailing lists can cope.

Thanks

mark

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous:
Next: Re: MSN Sender Id and mailing lists
Next: Re: MSN Sender Id and mailing lists
From: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>