Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2005)

Subject: Re: Posting style filters?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:56:51 -0800
To: Vince Sabio <vince @ vjs . org>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

funny, I generally top post now. I guess that makes me a heathen or
something.

At work, we do that because it keeps the context of the discussion
together, but out of the way. It saves us rooting around for
something that was said three messages ago. Occasionally I'll tear
down a message and respond point by point, but usually, that's overkill.

First, top post vs. inline is a religious fight. Nobody is "right" --
different people have different preferences. To assume there can be
only one style is like telling everyone to use san-serif fonts. It's
not about what's best, but enforcing on everyone what SOME people
want. My argument has been, and continues to be, that people should
spend their time teaching their mail clients to present mail in the
format they prefer, adn not yelling at others to "do it this way",
because there will always be idiots like me who refuse to change my
habits to fit your preferences. Because I don't believe anhyone has
the right to declare themselves god and enforce their preferences on
others.

it's a losing game from the start, so why bother? focus on things you
CAN control, which is your own environment. Quit trying to stuff your
envirobnment out on the commons.

That's why some users get "pissy" when the list moms do this, by the
way, and I can't blame them. they're RIGHT. Same with "reply to", and
"don't email me AND the list", and any of a dozen other "you have to
do it my way, because I said so" things.

But frankly, I think it no longer matters; the mail list as a primary
communications community tool is dead. Which is a great way to start
another argument, but I won't bother getting into it. I'll just note
this posting: http://chuqui.typepad.com/teal_sunglasses/2005/11/
the_past_slippi.html and shut up again.

By the way, what RFC states that top posting is the wrong way to do
this? I don't remember seeing that standard.

Oh, and this is a losing cause at best, given that most email clients
today handle replies in a way to encourage top posting. You might as
well fight the fight against porn on USENET. ACtually, that's
probably easier.